NM Mexico Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) Certification and Recertification Process
To earn your CPO:
NM EDGE offers NM Public Purchasing Foundation Classes and Culminating Test (6 classes + test) on a quarterly basis in ABQ. Upon successful completion of classes and test, your name will be sent to State Purchasing from which your certification will be issued.
Recertification is required every 2 years (based on month of initial certification).
Two options for completing recertification classes:
- NMPPA Conference Recertification Track (included in the cost of conference attendance)
- NM EDGE Recertification Classes (2 classes) offered monthly through June 2016 and quarterly thereafter in Albuquerque and occasionally in Las Cruces.
The Las Cruces classes will be held at: NMSU - Milton Hall, Room 85
The Albuquerque classes will be held at:CNM Montoya Campus, Albuquerque, NM
Culminating test required:
- NM EDGE Recertification Test (1 class) will be offered for eligible candidates who have successfully completed NM EDGE or NMPPA classes. Copy of letter of completion from NMPPA or successful completion of NM EDGE classes as reflected on transcript will be required.
- There is a fee of 1 class unit to take the test. Cost is $75 per class unit, unless sliding scale purchase is utilized. See our website for cost of class units and sliding scale.
- Must be enrolled in NM EDGE program to take test. One-time enrollment fee of $50 to enroll in NM EDGE Program.
- A pdf or photocopy of CPO Certificate from NM State Purchasing must be provided to NM EDGE prior to enrolling in test. Email to NMEDGE@NMSU.EDU.
- Photo ID is required at test sign-in. Test will be 25 randomly generated questions, grade of 70% or higher is required to pass, 2 attempts allowed, 1 hour each attempt. If one fails both attempts, one must retake the classes prior to attempting the test again (NM EDGE will charge only once for the classes and test).
- NM EDGE will email you an Excel document which you will need to complete as an excel document and return via email to NMEDGE@NMSU.EDU. This information will be provided to State Purchasing after successful completion of your test and will be used to generate your new certificate.
- Click on the link below for a complete 2017 schedule of events for Chief Procurement Officer Training & CPO Recertification.
- For those who have taken NMPPA classes, testing will occur from 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm in ABQ on the dates listed for recertification classes and test. Additional times for Las Cruces will be added in the summer as time and space allows.
- For those taking NM EDGE classes, testing will occur from 3:45 pm - 4:45 pm on the dates listed for recertification classes and test.
If you have taken NM EDGE classes, then the enrollment fee was likely paid at that time.
If in question, please call us and we can look this up for you.
Contact State Purchasing for questions regarding the recertification guidelines (firstname.lastname@example.org). Contact NM EDGE regarding NM EDGE classes and test (email@example.com).
For a copy of the NM EDGE Training Calendar for CPO Recertification - 2017, click on the link below.
Ongoing Purchasing Class Opportunities
Dear Chief Procurement Officer and Public Purchasing Staff,
The NM EDGE is pleased to announce that the Public Purchasing Foundation Classes & Culminating Test program will be offered quarterly in Albuquerque! This is your most direct route to the Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) designation certified through NM State Purchasing.
In addition, all other classes in our NM Public Purchasing Professional Certification will be offered Spring of 2017 for anyone that wants to continue towards their NMPPP certification through NM EDGE.
Both of these programs (described below) will provide a means to CPO designation through State Purchasing. Our classes are 3 hours, delivered face-to-face, and require a passing grade of 6 or better out of 10 on the post test for each class.
Foundation Classes +Test Delivery Schedule
Classes will be held: August 15 - 18, 2017
TO REGISTER FOR CLASSES - click here: NM EDGE Student Record and Enrollment Site.
LOCATION: CNM Montoya Campus, Albuquerque, NM
- NM EDGE Public Purchasing Foundation Classes & Culminating Test= 6 classes + test (test counts as 1 class) This mini-curriculum provides the basics of New Mexico procurement and interaction with seasoned professional.
- Successful completion of these 6 classes apply towards the full certification should you decide to continue.
- Your test score (minimum 70% correct) determines if you receive a certificate of test completion.
- Your Certification Certificate from State Purchasing = CPO (Chief Procurement Officer).
NM Public Purchasing Professional
You can take the first 6 classes in the NMPPP through the Foundation Classes, as these overlap. By the way, if you are pursuing your NMPPP, you won't need to take the test if you plan to complete the whole certification unless you want to). All additional classes required for the NMPPP will be offered in the Spring 2017. If you are interested, please send me an email and I will forward the schedule to you when it is ready for distribution.
- NM EDGE full certification as a NM Public Purchasing Professional = 25 classes + mini portfolio.
- This full curriculum provides extensive information about NM Procurement and interaction with seasoned professionals.
- Your Certification Certificate from State Purchasing = CPO (Chief Procurement Officer)
You may learn more about our professional development program, in general, at our NM EDGE website . If you are planning to take our classes you will need to create your NM EDGE new student account through our website at NM EDGE website. There you will find tip sheets with information and instructions for enrolling in our program and enrolling in classes.
Cost of Program
Some of you are wondering about the cost of our program. There is a one-time enrollment fee of $50 per student. Classes cost $75 each but there is a sliding scale depending on the number of class units purchased at one-time. If you purchase the 7 class units at one time the cost is reduced to $70 each. If more than one person from your office is planning to attend, you might consider creating a group account with us so that you may bundle both purchases and receive an even greater discount. At 25 class units the cost per class is $50. You can see the sliding scale on our at our NM EDGE website. There you will find tip sheets and other information on creating an invoice.
What is the bottom line?
If you take the classes through us, as an individual and purchase your enrollment fee and the 7 class units at once, the total will be $540. If you are able to bundle with other folks and can get the lowest class fee of $50, the total per person is $400, this is through a group account. You can set up a group account with us by contacting Chantel Barton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our classes are taught face to face by experts in the field, that have worked in New Mexico procurement for years and therefore you will have the opportunity to engage in discussion and activities with the instructor and other colleagues in the room. Much of our instruction is New Mexico specific and you will receive really good templates and resources. Also, you will receive access to our instructors outside the classroom should you wish to seek their counsel. We have heard from other students that the classroom interaction and follow-up access to the instructor have been highly beneficial.
Thanks again. Please let us know if we may assist you or provide further information. My cell number is (505) 660-7816 and I invite you to contact me directly.
Mary C. DeLorenzo, CMP | Program Director The NM EDGE Education Designed to Generate Excellence in the Public Sector | NMSU Cooperative Extension Service O 505.424.0744 | C 505.660.7816 email@example.com |NM EDGE
NM Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to a number of common questions about the NM Mexico Chief Procurement Officer (CPO). If you have any other questions or concerns, please take a few moments to explore our NM EDGE website or contact us for more information.